This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installing Barba on a VPS machine

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to install Barba Tunnel on my VPS machine, which is powered by Parallels. It currently runs Windows Server 2008 R2.

Parallels system doesn't allow me to modify boot options, so I can't turn on TESTSIGNING. This means that I can't use WinDivert driver.

So I tried to use WinPkFilter driver on the server. I have installed it, and rebooted the machine. (Now if I click on its setup again, it tells me that WinPkFilter is already installed)

But now, when I try to run Barba, it shows this message to me:
Barba Server Started...
Version: 7.0
FilterDriver: WinpkFilter
Error: Driver not installed on this system or failed to load!
Please go to http://www.ntndis.com/w&p.php?id=7 and install WinpkFilter driver.
What should I do?
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 5:42 AM
Hi
Actually Parallels provides weak root access specially when you go to install a driver :(
The good news is that WinDivert signed and I will be releasing version 7.1 soon with signed driver so you we don't need to make TEST mode on Win64.
The bad news is that I still think you will not be able even to install a signed driver in Virtuzoo Pararel systems, recommend you to order a XEN or HyperV systems.
For this issue you should contact
  1. Your hosting provider, they may install the driver signed WinDivert driver but I never believe they do such thing.
    2, Contact WinpkFilter. (I already have not success to install it on XEN systems but WinDivert successfully Installed).
  2. Contact WinDivert.
By the way I successfully install both of them on a virutalized Windows over HyperV.
Good luck
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Thanks for your quick answer.

I'll wait for you to release 7.1 (when will you release it?), and I hope Parallels allow me to install signed WinDivert driver :)
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I think it will not allow you to install the driver, because Parallels is sharing OS and not complete fertilization. If it allows you then the entire OS and its guests may crash. I got this information 3 years ago and don't know about recent version. Parallels Virtuozzo is partial Virtualization, I wonder if it allows you to install a kernel mode driver.
Sorry.
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM
So I will ask my hosting provider to install that driver, but after you release the signed version of WinDivert.
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM
mahdi75 wrote:
So I will ask my hosting provider to install that driver, but after you release the signed version of WinDivert.
They should not accept specially such packet filtering driver. If they accept then you and other guests can monitor other guests packet's and it will exploit the security. Even I wonder that they have already installed NAT or RRAS service on their machine.
You should look for another type of tunnel or looking for another type of VPS, they are many VPS in XEN or HyperV in net with the same price as Parallels Virtuozzo.
I have no hope for you to get success with that.
Regards
Jun 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM
mahdi75 wrote:
The signed version of WinDivert.sys is already available from the website: http://reqrypt.org/windivert.html

Just download any of the WinDivert-1.0.4-XXX.zip packages, and replace the BarbaTunnel WinDivert.sys with the new version. Do not replace any other file, and make sure you match the version correctly (x86 vs. amd64).

Or you can just wait for BarbaTunnel version 7.1
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I release Version 7.1,
Let me know if there is any issue.
Regards
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:35 AM
BarbaCoder wrote:
I think it will not allow you to install the driver, because Parallels is sharing OS and not complete fertilization. If it allows you then the entire OS and its guests may crash. I got this information 3 years ago and don't know about recent version. Parallels Virtuozzo is partial Virtualization, I wonder if it allows you to install a kernel mode driver.
Sorry.
It seems that you are right, I've just tried to install Barba 7.1, and this happened: Error: Failed to open Divert device (1275)!
Jun 5, 2013 at 6:22 AM
mahdi75 wrote:
It seems that you are right, I've just tried to install Barba 7.1, and this happened: Error: Failed to open Divert device (1275)!
From Microsoft:

1275 = ERROR_DRIVER_BLOCKED
"This driver has been blocked from loading."

It seems BarbaCoder is right and Parallels does not allow drivers to be installed. This means that neither WinDivert nor WinPkFilter will work.
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Hi
Did you even install VPN service without BarbaTunnel? I think you could not install a simple VPN service in Parallels, because it needs RRAS and NAT service and many other configurations that need some built-in kernel drivers too. I remember I couldn't install basic VPN service is Parrrel.
Good luck
Jun 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM
BarbaCoder wrote:
Hi
Did you even install VPN service without BarbaTunnel? I think you could not install a simple VPN service in Parallels, because it needs RRAS and NAT service and many other configurations that need some built-in kernel drivers too. I remember I couldn't install basic VPN service is Parrrel.
Good luck
Actually, first I tried to enable VPN service on my VPS, but it failed to install. So I contacted the customer support of my hosting provider, and they said that if I want to enable VPN, I need to ask them to enable VPN for my container.
I asked them to enable it, and they enabled VPN for my container.
After that, I installed VPN service on my VPS without any problems.
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I did same before, they install it for me but I couldn't install NAT. Without NAT you need an additional IP for each client. Also you may insall VPN service but you need to some config in RRAS that may cause issue again?
Did you completely install usable VPN with NAT and other config or you just install VPN service?
Cheers
Jun 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM
BarbaCoder wrote:
I did same before, they install it for me but I couldn't install NAT. Without NAT you need an additional IP for each client. Also you may insall VPN service but you need to some config in RRAS that may cause issue again?
Did you completely install usable VPN with NAT and other config or you just install VPN service?
Cheers
After they enabled VPN for me, I installed VPN services with the tutorial that is available in BarbaTunnel documentation.

I haven't any problem with installing NAT, and VPN configured successfully; I was able to connect to it, until my network blocked VPN ports :(
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM
How much is your VPS cost per month? RAM? CPU Count? Bandwidth?
Jun 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
BarbaCoder wrote:
How much is your VPS cost per month? RAM? CPU Count? Bandwidth?
1CPU (2.4GHz), 2GB RAM, unlimited bandwidth, 12$ per month.
Internet connection speed: download 27 mbit/s, upload 80 mbit/s

May I know why you are asking this?
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I just wanna compare it with HyperV or XEN plan. They usually have twice cost.
Regards
Jun 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM
BarbaCoder wrote:
I just wanna compare it with HyperV or XEN plan. They usually have twice cost.
Regards
Do HyperV and XEN VPSes allow me to install WinDivert?
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM