This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Speed is Slow

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Dear All

I Installed BarbaTunnel 6.4 on a Windows 2008 R2 server in a data center in USA country and this server configured PPTP server, also this server has 100Mbps dedicated Internet service.

I've got another Windows 2008 R2 server in another country with 100Mbps dedicated Internet service and BarbaTunnel 6.4 installed on it. this server has PPTP client connection.

Now , PPTP connection connected through BarbaTunnel from second server to first server in USA but when I test download and upload speed from second server , the download speed is around 1Mbps and upload speed is around 400Kbps.

I downloaded files from https://www.kernel.org/ website because it has good bandwidth to test download speed.

how can I increase speed of PPTP connection between two these servers on BarbaTunnel ?

Best Regards
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Hi
1) first, to check your connection try speedtest.net and select a good server in another sate. check both speed with barba and non barba
2) If you need to to use HTTP-Tunnel increase MaxUserConnections in config.ini. for 100MB speed 50 connections may required, but don't set this value if your client has very lower speed.
3) if possible use UDP tunnel.
Cheers
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Hi

Thank you for your update.

1- I checked speedtest.net , the result shows speed of connection non BarbaTunnel is better than with BarbaTunnel.

2- There is just one connection forever from second server to first server in USA , is there any configuration to increase speed on one user connection ? just increase MaxUserConnections in config.ini to 50 ?

3- Could you help to configuration UDP Tunnel and L2TP VPN through BarbaTunnel ?

Best Regards
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
kalhori wrote:
Hi

Thank you for your update.

1- I checked speedtest.net , the result shows speed of connection non BarbaTunnel is better than with BarbaTunnel.

2- There is just one connection forever from second server to first server in USA , is there any configuration to increase speed on one user connection ? just increase MaxUserConnections in config.ini to 50 ?

3- Could you help to configuration UDP Tunnel and L2TP VPN through BarbaTunnel ?

Best Regards
Yes, of-course HttpTunnel have overhead near 20%-30%.

Yes, try just increase MaxUserConnections, actually each 1Mbit/sec require near 4 MaxUserConnections. MaxUserConnections. is connection per user. so each user will establish MaxUserConnections for each VPN connection.

There is already UDP template in config folder, open it and Set GrabProtocols=GRE:,TCP:1723,UDP:1701,UDP:500,UDP:4500,50:
But some strict Enterprise firewall don't allow big UDP packets and you may failed to establish UDP tunnel. You should change in both client and server side and restart BarbaTunnel in both side.
Regards
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
kalhori wrote:
Hi

Best Regards
Actually I didn't check L2TP myself but I think you should set following GrabProtocols for PPTP & L2TP:
GrabProtocols=GRE:,TCP:1723,50:,UDP:1701,UDP:500,UDP:4500

I assume that by reading following document as reference:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458955(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards
Apr 15, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Edited Apr 15, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Hi

1- As I told you before there is just one PPTP connection between my client and server through BarbaTunnel application and only this PPTP connection connect to my server forever , both computers have 100Mbps dedicated Internet.
when I test speed connection from www.speedtest.net or download files from Microsoft or other websites , the speed of connection is about 2Mbps and download session cannot go upper than 2Mbps and I've got packet lost.

I don't have any speed problems from both computers without BarbaTunnel application.

So how can I increase speed of this PPTP ? increase throughput ...

2- How can I set up UDP Tunnel on both computers ? could you help me step by step to do this ? now I'm using HTTP Tunnel.

3- which Tunnel ( TCP or UDP ) has better speed ?

Best Regards
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Edited Apr 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Hi
1- So how can I increase speed of this PPTP ? increase throughput ...
Just increase connection count (MaxUserConnections) in both side. Make sure you didn't set FakePacketMinSize in HTTP-Retunnel config!
2- How can I set up UDP Tunnel on both computers ? could you help me step by step to do this ? now I'm using HTTP Tunnel.
I told you in previous post,
  1. open UDP-Retunnel.ini in config folder and set: GrabProtocols=GRE:,TCP:1723,50:,UDP:1701,UDP:500,UDP:4500
  2. set Enabled=1
  3. open HTTP-Retunnel.ini (And all other configs if any) in config folder and set Enabled=0
  4. Do this in both side and restart BarbaTunnel in both side.
3- which Tunnel ( TCP or UDP ) has better speed ?
UDP Tunnel is very faster and may just have 5% overhead, HTTP tunnel may have 30%-40% overhead and very sensitive to upload speed.
So UDP tunnel is much better but firewall may block or slow heavy UDP traffic in some situation.
Regards
Apr 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Hi

Thank you for your support.

1- I increased "MaxUserConnections" value to 30 in both side in HTTP-Retunnel.ini files but I see below warning , is it important warning or not ?
ConfigLoader: HTTP-Retunnel.ini: Warning: Item specify 30 MaxUserConnections! It could not be more than 20.

2- To set up UDP Tunnel : I do all of your order, but I think HTTP Tunnel still works because I see HTTP Tunnel message in Barba Monitor.
are you sure I must set enable=1 in both files ( HTTP-Retunnel.ini and UDP-Retunnel.ini ) ? how to know UDP Tunnel is running ?

Best Regards
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Sorry I was wrong and you are right.
Set MaxUserConnections to 20
Set Enabled=0 in Http-Retunnel and other and Set Enable=1 in UDP-Tunnel
I also fix it in my previous post.
Regards