This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Forward to another server?

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hello BarbaTunnel-Team,

is it possible to setup BarbaTunnel to forward traffic to a port on another host?

We have a VPN-server with public IP, that works fine most of the time. Some WLANs are restrictive, though, and our users cannot connect.

I wanted to put up a BarbaTunnel-server for the users to connect to in http tunnel mode, and that server should forward the traffic to the existing VPN-server. It looks to me as if BarbaTunnel could forward to local ports only? Is it possible to forward traffic to foreign ports?

Cheers,

Hauke

Coordinator
Mar 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

>>is it possible to setup BarbaTunnel to forward traffic to a port on another host?

I don't understand what you mean by "another host"! p2p Internet-Tunneling always need a server or by other word another host.

by the way If some of your users could not connect to your VPN server, you can simply use barbatunnel HTTP or UDP or Redirect tunnel to solve this issue. In worst case BarbaTunnel HTTP-Tunnel will work, I didn't still see any network firewall to able to block it yet. Make sure you local system firewall does not block it, its good idea to stop local system firewall both client and server side just for test then enable them.

Just follow quick start and try to establish the VPN.

Let me know if you still have problem.

Regards

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Perhaps I can clarify the problem:

* machine one runs the vpn server

* machine two runs the BarbaTunnel

* the user's laptop is in some restricted airpoirt lounge wifi

My plan was to let the user connect to machine two using the BarbaTunnel-http-tunnel (that then redirects to machine one) to hide the vpn from the wifi's gateway.

Coordinator
Mar 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I think it will not work.

Why you make it so sophisticated!! Just run BarbaTunnel on VPN server and simply connect your laptop to VPN server with BarbaTunnel.

You can simply install BarbaTunnel on your VPN server without interfering the VPN service. Users can simply connect to your VPN server with or without BarbaTunnel but barbatunnel should run on VPN server.

Regards