This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Configuration Help

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hello,

I need to configure BarbaTunnel to just redirect normal http and https requests from port 80 and 443 to my VPS, so I've change the server.ini to below specification but while BarbaTunnel is connected and ready it's not redirecting my packets to server,

[General]
ServerName=my-server-name
ServerAddress=xx.xx.xx.xx

[Item11]
Name=SSH Retunnel
Enabled=1
Key=
Mode=HTTP-Tunnel
TunnelPorts=8080
GrabProtocols=TCP:80
MaxUserConnections=
FakeFileTypes=jpg,zip
FakeFileMaxSize=
FakePacketMinSize=
KeepAliveInterval=
RequestDataKeyName=

I guess something in config is not right, So if anyone have experience with configuring BarbaTunnel please let me know what's wrong.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM

You should set following: 

[Item11] !!, you should change it to [Item1]

GrabProtocols=TCP:80,TCP:443

make sure both side have same configuration

Also you should know that you did not redirecting with HTTP-Tunnel, HTTP-Tunnel mode retunnel the packets. If you just want redirecting consider using TCP-Redirect.

Soon version 4 will be released that have different configuration style.

Regards

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Thanks and sorry for asking a lot,

I did this configuration and both sides have the same config but it's not working,

I guess maybe WinpkFilter is not sending packets to BarbaTunnel or HTTP-Tunnel is not established,

Would you please let me know how to diagnose it? All  I can see in client side is:

Barba Client Started...
Version: 3.0
Adapter: Local Area Connection
Ready!

Regards

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM
hgoles wrote:

Thanks and sorry for asking a lot,

I did this configuration and both sides have the same config but it's not working,

I guess maybe WinpkFilter is not sending packets to BarbaTunnel or HTTP-Tunnel is not established,

Would you please let me know how to diagnose it? All  I can see in client side is:

Barba Client Started...
Version: 3.0
Adapter: Local Area Connection
Ready!

Regards

1. enable verbose mode
  2. it is not necessary to install server 
  3. Did you correct [Item11] to [Item1]
  4. Make sure you enter correct server IP
  5. If WinpkFilter installed and you still have internet access it should atleast report some stuff
  6. Please send me you config file without your servername again

Regards

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Here it's youserver.ini on both sides:

; for information see:
; http://barbatunnel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=config.ini

[General]
ServerName=server1
ServerAddress=xx.xx.xx.xx

[Item1]
Name=SSH Retunnel
Enabled=1
Key=
Mode=HTTP-Tunnel
TunnelPorts=8888
MaxUserConnections=
FakeFileTypes=jpg,zip
FakeFileMaxSize=
FakePacketMinSize=
KeepAliveInterval=
RequestDataKeyName=

And it's client side BarbaTunnel.ini

; for information see:
; http://barbatunnel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=barbatunnel.ini

[General]
AdapterIndex=
ServerMode=0
MTUDecrement=
DebugMode=
VerboseMode=1
ConnectionTimeout=
MaxLogFileSize=

[Server]
ConfigFileName=
VirtualIpRange=
AutoStartDelay=3

Here it's the server BarbaTunnel.ini

; for information see:
; http://barbatunnel.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=barbatunnel.ini

[General]
AdapterIndex=
ServerMode=1
MTUDecrement=
DebugMode=
VerboseMode=1
ConnectionTimeout=
MaxLogFileSize=

[Server]
ConfigFileName=
VirtualIpRange=
AutoStartDelay=3

Verbose mode is active as it's default,

Do I have to run BarbaTunnel.exe manually?

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Yes, Make sure you restart barbatunnel after changing configs.

You dont need to struggle with server, if barbatunnel in client mode grab the packets it will report some stuff, so leave server and look why your packets does not grab on client side.

Also don't forget after you start barbatunnel you should try to connect to your server with an application that use port:80 on your server.

Please let me know if you find the issue.

Regards

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Please notify me your result after it done!

Regards

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

،Thanks,

As I'm not familiar with WinpkFilter I can't understand why it's not redirecting packets to BarbaTunnel,

My client machine is accessible from internet if you want to take a look.

Regards

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Did it work with regular VPN or you don't test it?

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Would you please explain what you mean by "regular VPN" ? Do I need to first connect to some kind of VPN before using barbaTunnel?

Regards

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM

In common senario you should connect to server with a VPN (PPTP or SSTP) after you run barbatunnel.

Also please tell me how many network adapter you have.

Regards

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Edited Jan 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Doesn't BarbaTunnel support any kind of alternate scenario? my problem which make me find BarbaTunnel is that I don't want to use any kind of VPN,

My client machine has only one adapter.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Yes, it should support, for this i am so interesting why it does not grab the outgoing packet from client, would you tell me each step you doing one by one.

Regards

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I see you just add port 80, i SSH use port 22 as default, are you sure you configure ports correctly, you can add many ports such as

GrabProtocols=TCP:80,TCP:443,TCP:22

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I just run the BarbaTunnel in client side and click on start button, ( the config is the same as above )

And then using my web browser to see if any kind of output appears in BarbaTunnel but it's showing noting.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

What is your windows version?

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I've tried both Windows2003 and Windows7

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I just set grab port to TCP:80 and test with my web browser on my windows 7 box same as your test. 

It worked for me. make sure your anti-virus does not block WinPKFilter. you can test WinPkFilter with its samples in its installation folder.

Unfortunately I have no more idea, but I test it over 10 PC myself and all work with AVG, Avia and AVAST antivirus.

By the way good luck

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Hello.

I am encountering the same issue. I just cant see any activity in BarbaClient window.

But, if I configure the Barba as server, it shows some stuff for the configured port (I have used browser to make requests for the configured port). So, does it mean that Barba work fine with WinpkFilter, and something is wrong in BarbaClient configuration?

Also, where the log file is created (if any)?

What means status "Idle"?

Thanks in advance

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Hi cvhades

Idle mean barbatunnel does not detect any grab-packet in last 10 minutes. would you put config.ini file here? Are you sure that you set correct AdapterIndex?

By the way I have some other issue with WinPKFilter in virtual machine box such as VMWare and Xen platform , I working to remove the need of WinPKFilter and use LocalHost instead, but I don; sure will it work or not. It may take a month for me to get result.

Regards

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Here is my HTTP-tunnel.ini:

[General]
ServerAddress=x.x.x.x
Enabled=1
Mode=HTTP-Tunnel
Key=1234567890ABCDEF
TunnelPorts=80
;GrabProtocols=GRE:*,TCP:1723
MaxUserConnections=
FakeFileTypes=jpg,zip
FakeFileMaxSize=
FakePacketMinSize=
KeepAliveInterval=
RequestDataKeyName=

barbaTunnel.ini:

[General]
AdapterIndex=6
ServerMode=0
MTUDecrement=
DebugMode=1
VerboseMode=1
ConnectionTimeout=
MaxLogFileSize=

[Server]
ConfigFileName=
VirtualIpRange=
AutoStartDelay=3

since I am in a restricted network, and I want to send all my web browsing traffic (port 80) to tunnel (port 80). Am I right?

Can I use TCP:*?

I have used AdapterIndex from listadapters.exe. Also, packetsniffer.exe with this AdapterIndex, is showing me some activity when I open some page in browser.

One more question: if BarbaTunnel server is showing some activity for configured port, does it mea that it works well with WinpkFilter?

Thank you

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Oh, I find.

You could not use BarbaTunnel alone as Standalone Tunnel. there is many tunneling software in net and you can also use VPN. Most VPN and tunnel software does not hide their tunnel layer or they not hilde themself properly, for example VPN can blocked by firewall.

BarbaTunnel help existing tunnel software and make their protocol to make more hidden,

You set GrabProtocols=TCP:80, it mean the only packet that go to you server x.x.x.x with that protocol will be grabbed. it mean you should already have tunnel software that use port 80 on your server. so just when you type http://x.x.x.x on your browser it will grab the packets not other websites.

If you have windows in both side why you don't just install a simple PPTP VPN?! PPTP-VPN is very good for tunnel and standard and very simple to install. in this case if you install VPN and doesn't have any issue with it just leave BarbaTunnel it will not help you, but if your VPN connection blocked, slowed by firewall just set GrabProtocols=GRE:*,TCP:1723 (protocols used by PPTP-VPN) and connect VPN after running barbatunnel and let barbatunnel do its work.

Please let me know if you still have a question.

Regards

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Ah, great, thank you!

Anyway, you did a great job! Actually I was searching for tunneling software, and your BarbaTunnel was looking very promising, like very smart application, which work at the more low level. I was thinking even to make all my system to work over the tunnel (using something like GrabProtocols=TCP:*) :)))

Thank you again and good luck!!!

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I still wonder why you don't use VPN? It should have reason behind it that I need to know.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Hello.

First of all it was looking very promising HTTP Tunnel solution, because:
- all http tunnel solutions that I found, works as a local proxy, but not every client software has proxy settings, so that using you approach (redirecting all packets sent from a certain port) will make work all of them;
- I am not sure that using VPN will let work fine all my intranet-dependent software (mail and a lot of others). Also redirecting all internet traffic to one IP can rise an alert (assuming that traffic can be monitored);
- It is very easy to use software (just one click and... magic, all your traffic goes where you need and when you need);

Anyway, it is very great application, and I didn't see before such approach.

Thank you for this application and good luck!!!

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Hi

>>all http tunnel solutions that I found, works as a local proxy, but not every client software has proxy settings, so that using you approach (redirecting all packets sent from a certain port) will make work all of them;

Yes, but VPN solve this issue, it redirect all packet regardless of application settings

>>I am not sure that using VPN will let work fine all my intranet-dependent software (mail and a lot of others). Also redirecting all internet traffic to one IP can rise an alert (assuming that traffic can be monitored);

You should sure that VPN can redirect all packet for all application, also you can exclude your internet, also you can exclude some IPs by route command. anyway any HTTP-Tunnel will redirect all internet packets to one IP, so VPN is still best choice. maybe you need Tor that work at publisher end.

>> It is very easy to use software (just one click and... magic, all your traffic goes where you need and when you need);

Installing VPN so easy and does not need any specific software (unless it blocked so you can use BarabTunnel).

Still I wonder why you don't want use VPN. Did you try it yet?

Regards

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Hello.

I still can't get it working :D

I see such messages on the client:

BarbaCourier: TID:  fd0, SessionId: 8d8557a6, Error: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.
BarbaCourier: TID:  fd0, SessionId: 8d8557a6, HTTP GET connection removed.  Connections Count: 0.
BarbaCourier: TID: 15f4, SessionId: 8d8557a6, HTTP POST connection removed.  Connections Count: 2.

and on the server:

BarbaCourier: TID:  804, SessionId: 8d8557a6, Error: Out of sync while reading message length!
BarbaCourier: TID:  bfc, SessionId: 8d8557a6, HTTP POST connection removed. Connections Count: 2.
BarbaCourier: TID:  f70, SessionId: 8d8557a6, HTTP GET connection removed. Connections Count: 3.

Could you give me a hint what is wrong?

I am trying to use remote desktop connection (should not it work?)

Thank you!

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Error: Out of sync while reading message length!

It usually happen when barbatunnel in client and server does have same version or same configuration. make sure that you using the latest version in both side and use same configuration file on both side. 

Soon I will release version 5 too, but it does not target your issue.

Let me know if your problem solved.

Regards

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:43 PM

All is the same...

the result too... :|

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2012 at 9:47 PM

1) Can you send me you config.ini of server and client?

2) Do you register BarabService yet? if you register BarbaService by calling _RegisterService.bat make sure you unregister it otherwise when you start BarbaMonitor it will run the old version that exists in BarbaService folder. 

3) Please make sure client and server have same version by checking first line of report (not folder that you execute it)

Regards

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Hello.

I get working Barba in my local network (192.168...). But can't get it working from outside. Just see some activity in the client and server window, but it is not working. The client ends with "connection is ready to receive the actual data" and the server with "HTTP connection is ready to send the actual data". I disabled firewall and antivirus, but no result... Can it be because of some system settings? If i make a request in the browser with my external ip and Barba's configured port, it gives "Error: Could not extract sessionId from HTTP request!" message, so I think all system settings is ok...
Can it be something else? Router for instance?

Thank you again!

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM
  1. Would you tell me what error you get  (VPN report) when you try to connect with VPN after running barbatunnel?
  2. Would you test your connection speed without VPN in speedtest.net and tell me your upload and download speed?

Actually I test it in many system and it work.

Regards

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Hi again

1. Also Make sure you set correct AdapterIndex correctly
  2. In Server make sure packet with 10.207.0.x destination IP address route outside your server network or route to the AdapterIndex if specified.

Let me know if you  succeed

Regards

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM

New version release that use new FilterDriver instead WinpkFilter. Please try it too.

Regards

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM

The same situation.

In my LAN it works well. But it doesnt work from the outside.
It registers some activity from the outside IP.

The last few lines from the server Barba Monitor  are:

BarbaCourier: TID:  fc4, SessionId: 8d883023, Sending fake GET reply! File: random350x350.jpg (10164 KB).
BarbaCourier: TID:  fc4, SessionId: 8d883023, Sending fake file header. HeaderSize: 2 KB.
BarbaCourier: TID:  fa4, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to receive the actual data.
BarbaCourier: TID:  978, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to send the actual data.
BarbaCourier: TID:  d90, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to send the actual data.
BarbaCourier: TID:  f7c, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to receive the actual data.
BarbaCourier: TID:  120, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to receive the actual data.
BarbaCourier: TID:  fc4, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to send the actual data.

And from client:

BarbaCourier: TID:  94c, SessionId: 8d883023, Downloading file 13960 KB.
BarbaCourier: TID:  94c, SessionId: 8d883023, Waiting for incoming fake file header. HeaderSize: 2 KB.
BarbaCourier: TID: 1340, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to receive the actual data.
BarbaCourier: TID:  a48, SessionId: 8d883023, Downloading file 10164 KB.
BarbaCourier: TID:  a48, SessionId: 8d883023, Waiting for incoming fake file header. HeaderSize: 2 KB.
BarbaCourier: TID:  a48, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to receive the actual data.
BarbaCourier: TID: 174c, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to receive the actual data.
BarbaCourier: TID:  94c, SessionId: 8d883023, HTTP connection is ready to receive the actual data.

Once again: it works fine in my LAN, but when trying to access it with public IP (from the same LAN) it doesnt give me the desired result (for the moment I am trying to establish remote desktop connection).

The internet speed is ok.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Hi

Please keep contact till this issue be solved. It should work because you already establish connection and there is no reason to stop it.

1.  1) First tell me what the reason you using BarbaTunnel? Is firewall between you and your server block your VPN connection entirely or just make it supper slow? Can you even establish VPN connection without BarbaTunnel?
  2. What is VPN connection error while BarbaTunnel running? Would you send me error message of VPN connection?
  3. Do you know which firewall blocks you? China Firewall? Company private are firewall? School firewall?
  4. Please tell me the upload speed.

Please keep in contact.

Regards

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Hi.

My Internet speed from speed test:
Download Speed: 7080 kbps (885 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3717 kbps (464.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

First I want to test it at my home, so I can do everything here, all the settings I need, just to see it working (for the begining). I disabled firewall, antivirus, but no luck. My LAN is 2 pc's, conected to one router, which has connection to Internet.

For the moment I use Remote Desktop connection (not VPN). Could be there some differences?
But I am wondering why it is working in my LAN (betweene my 2 PCs), and is not working if I am trying to access it with public IP (just showning me some activity in BarbaTunnel monitor). All is working fine without BarbaTunnel.

I think I am close to solution, but...

Thanks

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Hi, 

>>For the moment I use Remote Desktop connection (not VPN). 

Actually I didn't test it with RDP, i test it with VPN, but it should work with RDP too,

1) would you send me your config file?

2) What happen with your RDP after you start BarbaTunnel?

3) Is both side use WinDivert and Version 5?

4) Do you have more than network adapter on your PC?

5) why it is working in my LAN (betweene my 2 PCs) you mean you connect RDP to other machine via BarbaTunnel? whats happen if you stop BarbaTunnel while it connected. 

6) Why dont test it via VPN? just create an incoming connection and connect to it

mean while i try to test RDP too

Regards

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Hi

Just for you I configured BarbaTunnel to tunnel RDP to HTTP-Tunnel 80 and successfully connected via it. I turn-off server firewall too, usually you should just open port 80 and RDP port.

the RDP port for windows is: GrabProtocols=TCP:3389

Anyway it work fine in my side. I am behind in one the most sophisticated and strict firewall in the world.

Regards

May 23, 2013 at 5:58 AM
barbacoder wrote:
Oh, I find. You could not use BarbaTunnel alone as Standalone Tunnel. there is many tunneling software in net and you can also use VPN. Most VPN and tunnel software does not hide their tunnel layer or they not hilde themself properly, for example VPN can blocked by firewall. BarbaTunnel help existing tunnel software and make their protocol to make more hidden, You set GrabProtocols=TCP:80, it mean the only packet that go to you server x.x.x.x with that protocol will be grabbed. it mean you should already have tunnel software that use port 80 on your server. so just when you type http://x.x.x.x on your browser it will grab the packets not other websites. If you have windows in both side why you don't just install a simple PPTP VPN?! PPTP-VPN is very good for tunnel and standard and very simple to install. in this case if you install VPN and doesn't have any issue with it just leave BarbaTunnel it will not help you, but if your VPN connection blocked, slowed by firewall just set GrabProtocols=GRE:*,TCP:1723 (protocols used by PPTP-VPN) and connect VPN after running barbatunnel and let barbatunnel do its work. Please let me know if you still have a question. Regards
HI

it's not good, it makes 2 problems,
1) some times we want to use vpn on other servers, so the ip is not match to my server
2) I want to change your software as an anti censorship software, so I should grab all traffic on port 80 that browsers make

by the way, your software is brilliant :-***************************
Coordinator
May 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1) some times we want to use vpn on other servers, so the ip is not match to my server
You can do it with BarbaTunnel, just create two config.
2) I want to change your software as an anti censorship software, so I should grab all traffic on port 80 that browsers make
You can do this, simply use VPN and if VPN blocked just install BarbaTunnel then run VPN again.

I really don't understand your problem.
Regards